It’s a party! Something must have been in the water eight or nine months ago because so many wonderful ladies I know will be adding a bundle of love to their households in the coming months. One of these ladies is the amazing Katie of Clark’s Condensed. In celebration, a bunch of awesome bloggers (plus me) have gotten together to throw her a virtual baby shower. We’ve got food and treats and favors and everything. Seriously. It’s a party.
Me? I’m bringing sundaes! What’s a party without ice cream? Not a party, that’s what. Chocolate coconut ice cream topped with lavender infused olive oil and sea salt. Sound crazy? I promise there’s a method to my madness.
I first had olive oil on ice cream way back in college at the suggestion of my aunt whose palate is much more refined than mine. Fruity olive oil pairs so well with pure, simple flavors like vanilla and chocolate. Then one day I noticed Sam’s Sundae on the menu at the infamous Bi-Rite Creamery in San Francisco. One bite and it became my go-to order whenever we drop by. Deep chocolate ice cream with bergamot olive oil and sea salt? Perfection.
So then there’s my version. Lavender and chocolate are a match made in heaven in my book, so infusing the olive oil with lavender was a no brainer. You could top your favorite chocolate ice cream with this oil and sea salt and call it a day. It would be delicious.
I’m sharing my favorite dairy free chocolate ice cream because I practically lived on this stuff while I was nursing. It’s so rich and creamy, you’d never guess it was dairy free. I guess it could technically be classified as a sorbet, but that just doesn’t do justice to how thick and wonderfully ice cream-like this stuff actually is.
*Olive oil infusion method adapted from Fix Feast Flair.
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 can coconut cream
- 4 tsp tapioca starch (can substitute corn starch)
- 2 Tbs corn syrup
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 4 oz chocolate, chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ⅔ cup sugar
- Sea salt for sprinkling
- ½ cup culinary lavender
- 1 cup olive oil (fruity preferred)
- Preheat a water bath to 100F using an immersion circulator OR line the bottom of a slow cooker with a small towel and fill the crock half way with water.
- Add the lavender and olive oil to a jar, stir to combine and cover.
- Place jar in the prepared water bath or slow cooker and allow to infuse for 12-24 hours, swirling gently a few times throughout the process.
- After infusion, allow the oil to come to room temperature before straining. Gently press the blossoms to squeeze out as much oil as possible.
- Whisk about 3-4 Tbs of coconut cream into the starch to make a slurry.
- Heat coconut milk, coconut cream, sugar and corn syrup over medium heat until it comes to a boil.
- Lower the heat, whisk in the cocoa powder and allow to simmer for 5 minutes. Watch carefully and don't allow it to boil over.
- Whisk in the slurry and cook for about 1 minute more, until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in salt and vanilla.
- Quick chill this mixture by filling a bowl halfway with ice, pouring the ice cream mixture into a separate bowl and then placing that bowl op top of the ice. Leave to chill completely, stirring the mixture occasionally.
- Alternatively, you can place the ice cream mixture in the refrigerator for a few hours, or overnight, until it's completely cold.
- Pour mixture into your ice cream maker/churner and chill according to your manufacturers instructions (mine takes about 20 minutes).
- Top a couple scoops of ice cream with the infused olive oil and sea salt to taste.
- Custom Baby Mobile from Live Like You are Rich
- Baby Shower Unscramble Games from Sight and Sound Reading
- Free Printable New Baby Coloring Pages from The Wise Owl
- Rub a Dub Dub Baby Shower Centerpiece PLUS Party Favor from Lady Behind the Curtain
- Baby Shower Gifts from Grown Ups Magazine
- How to make a Baby Diaper Wreath from Madame Deals
- BBQ Cheese Crescents from The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Pumpkin Spice Baby Shower Mints from Mama Plus One
- Easy Dinosaur Cookies from Cake Whiz
- Gender Reveal Cookies from Taste of Lizzy T
- Baby Shower Popcorn with from Marilyn’s Treats
- Sugar Cookie Fruit Cups from Bitz and Giggles
- Muddy Buddies for a Boy from Made From Pinterest
- Mock Champagne Punch from Love Bakes Good Cakes
- Elephant Cake Pops from Pint Sized Baker
- Rice Krispie Treat Pops from Persnickety Plates
- Vegan Zucchini Cake with Lemon Frosting from The Viet Vegan
- Baby Shower Dessert Cheesecake Baby from Hungry Happenings
- Chocolate Coconut Ice Cream with Lavendar Infused Olive Oil from The Joyful Foodie
- Ultimate Oreo Layer Cake from The Crafting Foodie
- Gluten Free Cream Cheese Brownie Ice Cream from Flippin Delicious