First off, happy Pi Day aka The Day Non-Math-Nerds Make Pie Just for Funsies.
Years ago my friends and I decided to have a Weird Pie Party. We assigned each other random ingredients and set out to make something yummy out of the weirdest combinations. I was given matcha, tofu and ginger.
I could have taken the easy way out and made a savory pie, but I was determined to make a sweet one. At the time I was very inexperienced working with matcha and thought the more matcha the better. I lost track of how much I added after the first few tablespoons. I know all you matcha lovers are shaking your heads at me. I’m shaking my head at myself.
The pie ended up so bitter and pretty much inedible. What a waste of good matcha. I learned my lesson, though.
Since today is Epic Pi Day (3.1415) aka The Day all Math Nerds Make Themselves Known Since They Know the Digits in Pi Beyond 3.14 ;), I wanted to share my perfected version of the matcha pie (along with a bunch of other pies below!). This pie is almost nothing like the tofu disaster (though I’m determined to make my original matcha+tofu+ginger idea work one day!) aside from the matcha. The crust is made completely of almond flour, so you get that smooth, nutty flavor with each bite. The white chocolate makes the matcha creamy and just a bit sweet. The filling is similar in texture to panna cotta – smooth but firm enough to cut and serve.
Best improvement? Only 4 teaspoons of matcha! 😉 You can add 5 if you want a stronger matcha flavor, but I’d stop there. I tried this with 2 tablespoons (6 teaspoons), and I could already taste the bitter creeping up. Keep it at 4 for a mild but still distinctive matcha flavor.
White Chocolate Matcha Pie – Grain Free
Author: Joy @ The Joyful Foodie
Recipe type: grain free, gluten free, dessert, pie
Serves: 4-6 servings
Ingredients For the crust:
- 2 cups almond flour
- ¼ cup coconut oil or butter, melted
- 2 Tbs honey or sugar
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ⅛ tsp salt
For the filling:
- 3 cups whole milk
- ⅓ cup honey or sugar
- 6 oz white chocolate chips or finely chopped chunks
- 2 packets powdered gelatin (0.4oz total)
- 4-5 tsp matcha powder
- 4 Tbs hot water
- 1 cup heavy cream + 2 Tbs honey or sugar
Instructions For the crust:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine all the crust ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Grease an 8 or 9 inch pie pan.
- Press the dough firmly into the pan.
- Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes or until golden (tip: cover loosely with foil for the first 10-15 minutes to avoid burning).
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
For the filling:
- (Tip: If your matcha is lumpy, sift it or break up lumps with a fork to avoid lumps in your filling)
- In a medium bowl, combine the matcha powder with the hot water and use a fork or small whisk to mix well. Set aside and allow to cool a bit.
- Place milk in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- When matcha is somewhat cooled, sprinkle the gelatin evenly over the surface. Allow to sit for about 5 minutes.
- When the milk has begun to foam, turn off the heat and add the honey or sugar and white chocolate. Whisk constantly until completely dissolved.
- Add the matcha/gelatin mixture. Whisk until completed dissolved.
- Transfer filling to a bowl and allow mixture to cool and thicken slightly. Don’t let it cool all the way! (I place my filling in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes with wax paper pressed to the surface to prevent a skin from forming)
- Pour filling into cooled pie crust and chill pie at least 2 hours, preferably overnight
- Now excuse me while I go eat all the pie. It is Epic Pi Day, after all.
Speaking of today being EPIC, a bunch of my bloggy buddies and I have gotten together to bring you an epic list of gluten- free pies! So go get your pie on already.
Gluten-Free Peanut Butter Pie from Flippin’ Delicious
Grain Free White Chocolate Matcha Pie from The Joyful Foodie
Gluten-Free Coconut Cream Pie from What the Fork Food Blog
4 Gluten-Free Pies from Ivy’s Garden Food
Gluten-Free Lemon Meringue and Gluten-Free Tomato Bacon Quiche from Gluten-Free Mama
Deep Dish Gluten-Free Apple Pie from Raia’s Recipes
Gluten-Free Pink Lemonade Pie from The Baking Beauties
Gluten-Free Chocolate Bar Pie from There is Life After Wheat
Gluten-Free Vegan Strawberry Pop Tarts from Allergy Free Alaska
Looking for grain free treats?