Summer! I don’t know why, but I’ve always loved the idea of Summer…and sun…and all things hot…
😉 Really now. The past month has felt more like Summer break for me than I ever remember Summer feeling like when I was actually in school. I kicked off the month hitting up State Bird Provisions (finally!) with my cousin. Then I jetted off to Austin for some bachelorette fun with my soon-to-be (this Saturday!) sister-in-law. First time away from my babies. *tear* And if that wasn’t enough, I just got back from five days in Manhattan with my cousins. Whew! I’ve got some pretty packed food recaps coming your way. 😉 I feel like I need a break from my Summer break!
An ice cream break! My ice cream maker has been working overtime lately because…ice cream. I’ve got quite a few fun creations coming your way, but today I’m kicking it off with the other bloggers of Foodie Extravaganza with this creamy, Asian inspired creation.
There’s a little ice pop shop/cart that I love to hit up whenever I see them set up (usually at the Alameda Antique Faire), and I almost always get their Bangkok Night Market pop. It’s a bright yellow, sweet, coconut curry pop, and it’s so, soooo good. This Lemongrass Ginger Coconut Ice Cream is inspired by that pop, but it doesn’t go all the way into the curry flavor profile. A little safer, if you will. It leans heavily on the floral, aromatic lemongrass, smoothed out by the creamy coconut, with just a hint of ginger kick. If you’re feeling a bit more adventurous, try topping it with a sprinkle of turmeric and chili powder. Mmmmm…
One bite and you’ll feel like you should be sitting on a beach in southeast Asia eating this straight out of a coconut shell. Or not. Whatever floats your boat.
Oh, and did I mention this ice cream is vegan? Can I slide that little fact in there without you noticing? The coconut base is so rich and creamy, I promise you wouldn’t have noticed anyway. So maybe I shouldn’t have said anything then, huh? Oh well. Heads up.
- 2 stalks of lemongrass
- 2 inch piece of ginger (about an inch in diameter)
- 1 can of coconut cream
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 4 tsp tapioca starch (corn starch can be substituted)
- 2 Tbs corn syrup
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ⅔ cup sugar
- Peel off the dry outer layers of the lemongrass to expose the softer inner stalk. Cut off and discard the base and the dry top of the stalk leaving only the soft portion. Roughly chop the soft lemongrass.
- Peel and roughly chop the ginger.
- Whisk about 3-4 Tbs of coconut milk into the starch to make a slurry. Set aside.
- Heat coconut milk, coconut cream, sugar and corn syrup over medium heat until it comes to a boil.
- Lower the heat, add in the lemongrass and ginger and allow to simmer for 5 minutes. Watch carefully and don't allow it to boil over.
- Whisk in the slurry and cook for about 1 minute more, until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in salt.
- Quick chill this mixture by filling a bowl halfway with ice, pouring the ice cream mixture into a separate bowl and then placing that bowl op top of the ice. Leave to chill completely, stirring the mixture occasionally.
- Alternatively, you can place the ice cream mixture in the refrigerator for a few hours, or overnight, until it's completely cold.
- Pour mixture into your ice cream maker/churner and chill according to your manufacturers instructions (mine takes about 20 minutes).
Oh wait, that’s not all! Check out all the mouthwatering ice cream recipes from the other tastemakers of Foodie Extravaganza. I want them all!
Here’s the Scoop!
Chocolate Decadence Ice Cream by A Day in the Life on the Farm
Chocolate Malted Whopper Ice Cream by My Daylights
Crushed Pineapple Ice Cream by Food Lust People Love
Custard Cream & Strawberry Swirl No Churn Ice Cream by Baking in Pyjamas
Éma’a (Syrian Ice Cream) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
Fruity Fruit Popsicles by The Freshman Cook
Lemon Basil Ice Cream by Our Good Life
Lemongrass Ginger Coconut Ice Cream by The Joyful Foodie
Maple Bacon Ice Cream by Cooking With Carlee
No-Churn Chopped Macaron Vanilla Bean Ice Cream by Rhubarb and Honey
No Churn Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream by Fearlessly Creative Mammas
No Churn Reese’s Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream by NinjaBaker.com
Oat and Dulce de Leche Swirl Ice Cream by Passion Kneaded
Peach Cobbler Ice Cream by Cherishing a Sweet Life
Rhubarb Ice Cream by From Gate to Plate
Root Beer Barrel Ice Cream by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Tahini and Lemon Curd Ice Cream by Sew You Think You Can Cook
The Bees’ Knees Semifreddo by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Foodie Extravaganza is where we celebrate obscure food holidays or cook and bake together with the same ingredient or theme each month. This month was hosted by the amazing Camilla of Culinary Adventures with Camilla! I’m always excited to see what Cam comes up with every month, so be sure to give her a visit.
Posting day is always the first Wednesday of each month. If you are a blogger and would like to join our group and blog along with us, come join our Facebook page Foodie Extravaganza. We would love to have you! If you’re a spectator looking for delicious tid-bits check out our Foodie Extravaganza Pinterest Board! Looking for our previous parties? Check them out HERE.
So you like interesting flavor combos? Check out these Asian-inspired twists!