We’re a couple weeks into our 30 day green smoothie challenge, and it’s been going really well. I’ve enjoyed having a refreshing breakfast that’s also nutrient packed and filling (we add nuts to our smoothie bowls to help them last longer). I’ve been on the smoothie bowl kick for a couple weeks now, and I just really needed to change it up a bit. So, I decided to drink my smoothie. How novel.
I saw these frozen cherries at the grocery store and immediately decided that I needed to make a chocolate cherry smoothie. Since I wanted to drink my smoothie this day, I thought this would be the perfect one to try – it would be reminiscent of a milkshake! I’m happy to say that this was a hit. It had just the right amount of chocolate to complement the sweet yet slightly tart cherries. This is what I did:
Chocolate Covered Cherry Green Smoothie
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 5 minutes
Serving Size: 2
- 2 cups greens*
- 2 cups frozen cherries
- 2 heaping tbs cocoa powder
- 1 banana**
- 1-2 tbs almond butter (optional)
- 2 cups liquid of choice
- Combine ingredients in blender and blend until smooth.
– Almond butter is optional give. It gives the smoothie a creamier texture.
– For liquid, use water to keep it light, or try it with almond, coconut or regular milk to a richer, more milkshake-like smoothie. If you decide to use “milk” you may need to add a bit more liquid.
– To make this smoothie bowl just reduce the liquid to 1 cup.
* I’ve used spinach, kale and a “super greens” mix. They’ve all worked great!
** In the photo my banana was already pre-frozen and blended. It was leftover from an “ice cream” treat the night before.